Monday, April 1, 2013

 How to Grow Wheat Grass Tutorial

 I wanted to share a wheat grass tutorial today. I saw a lot of pictures on pinterest but when I looked for tutorials I didn't really find any. Luckily I found an old segment on Studio 5 that helped me out, but I did do a few things different. Here is what worked for me.

What you need to grow your wheat grass:
  • Potting soil
  • Hard red winter wheat (which is what most people use) but I used red spring berries (you can find both of these at a health food store in the bulk section)
  • Water
  • Container to plant your seeds in
  1. Soak your seeds in water for a few hours
  2. When they are done soaking, drain your seeds and set to the side for a minute
  3. Mix your soil with water to make it damp(you don't want it to be flooded)
  4. Fill your container 3/4 full with soil
  5. Add a layer of seeds on top, be generous, keep adding seeds until you can't see the soil
  6. I added some soil on top of my seeds because I didn't like the look of the seeds exposed but my grass actually was so strong it pushed the soil right off. So I would suggest a light layer or no soil on top at all. I think it made the grass not grow as full as I would have liked. 
  7. You are done with the planting process! Now to take care of it...
  8. For the first two days the seeds need to stay really wet so I watered them 2-3 times a day. But they are very fragile so don't dump water on them. Use a spray bottle that has a gentle spray or else you will disrupt the seeds. 
  9. Once the seeds have white tails and are sprouting you can spray them once a day.
  10. After that it is home free! You should have great looking wheat grass in about a week, just make sure to spray them every day. 
 First stages of grass, this was right after I watered them.
This was at four days, they are a lighter green at first. Don't worry it will get darker.


This is after a week, the finished product!
 

 It is really easy to grow and I think it is a fun spring decoration to have around the house. This would also be fun to do with your kids. They can help you water them everyday and it is fun to watch them grow from seeds to full grown grass. Happy Planting!

1 comment:

  1. These were the CUTEST Easter table decorations! Everyone loved them. Will you be in charge of decorating for holidays from now on? :)

    ReplyDelete