Monday, April 8, 2013

Is Your Front Door Looking Drab?


Have no fear, I am here to help! It is time to get the snowflakes out of your house, and welcome in the beautiful spring flowers. The fun spring colors and decorations always make me feel happier, especially when winter seems to be dragging on forever. But now spring is just around the corner! Which means you need a wonderful spring wreath on your front door. If you like my spring wreath keep reading, enjoy!


  Here is what you will need:

Supplies

  • Straw or foam wreath
  • 1 yard of cloth linen or a fabric you like
  • 4 sheets of felt in colors you want (I used cream, yellow, pink, and baby pink)
  • Hot glue gun and glue gun sticks
  • Stapler 

Optional

  • Twine/string/ribbon
  • 7 little wooden triangles
  • acrylic paint
  • Letter stickers

Prepare Your Wreath

  1. Lay your linen fabric out and cut it in to 2 inch wide strips
  2. Wrap your fabric around the wreath until the strip ends, staple the fabric on the backside to the wreath (I used a straw wreath and it worked great, you could also hot glue it) I wrapped it and overlapped it about half way on the previous one
  3. Keep wrapping until you have covered the whole wreath
  4. Now time to make your felt flowers, there are a few different flowers you can make

Directions for Flowers


The first flower is really simple. Cut out a circle from your felt:


and then cut a spiral into it



Start wrapping it in a circle and put a dot of hot glue every once in awhile:



The second flower is exactly like the first but with one change. When cutting out the flower, make little bumps in the circle. Sorry that is the best way I know how to describe it.



The third flower is hard to explain, but I found a great tutorial. Here is a blog post I used to make mine: http://shadandlizzie.blogspot.com/2010/08/felt-flower-headband-tutorial.html

The fourth flower cut out about a 7-8 inch strip of felt that is 2 inches wide when folded over. Cut into the felt but not all the way:


When you are done wrap the felt in a circle and hot glue every so often



If you want the petals to be bigger then cut farther into the felt, but still not all the way:






You can make a variation of the fourth flower but cutting the other side instead of the folded side and do everything else the same:


Putting Flowers on Wreath

Once you are done making all of your flowers( I did different sizes of each flower and different colors), arrange them on your wreath how you like. Then once you like the look of your flowers hot glue them onto the wreath.

At this point you can be done with your wreath and hang it up with a ribbon on your front door. Or you can add a banner with a saying. On mine I did a banner that says spring:


I just used some of my extra felt and cut out little triangles. Then I attached them to some twine and hung it across my wreath. I just used stickers on the felt and they have stayed on great. But you could use little wooden triangles and paint them, and then put a saying on them. I just couldn't find any wooden ones and didn't want to go to any more stores, so I just used my left over felt.







I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. This wreath is really easy to make and it's simple. Happy crafting!



2 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the felt flowers.... Maybe you could make me one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! Very bright and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete