Monday, March 25, 2013

 First Blog Post-Easter Decor

Well this is my first blog post ever! I am excited to start a blog so I can share all of my ideas and thoughts. I love to make tutorials and now I have somewhere to post them. I love to craft and cook and try new things.  My favorite thing is to find a craft and try to do it for only a few dollars since I am married and on a budget.

 My first post today is going to be about Easter decorations. I know Easter is this Sunday but it is never too late to put up some simple decorations! One of my simplest decorations I have made is this framed bunny. The background paper was fifty cents and then I cut out the bunny from some white card-stock I already had. And I had a cotton ball as well. I got the idea from this website: http://preppyandpinknc.blogspot.ca/2012/03/happy-free-printable-friday.html. I liked the idea just not the color schemes so I decided to make my own. I just free handed my bunny from the picture (sorry I don't have a template to offer). At first I wanted to do a felt bunny cause I thought the texture would make it look fuzzy and cute. But after I put it together I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. The felt was see-through so I thought I would put white card-stock behind it to make it better. I didn't really like that either, so then I just tried the white card-stock and liked the way it looked the best. Total I payed for this was fifty cents. Simple :)


Next I made this tree. I have always wanted one of those cool trees that you can hang different things on the branches for different holidays. I always see them on pinterest but I have never seen one in a store. So I decided to make my own from tree branches in my backyard. I think it turned out great! I got the eggs at Dollar Tree. Yes, I go there all the time for craft materials because they have random things that work great for my projects. I just tied all of my branches together at the bottom with some twine and then stuck them in decorator rocks. I owned everything for this craft already except for the egg ornaments. So in total this was $1. Pretty great right? Always look for things around your house you already have and reuse things from other holidays. It will save you a lot! And be creative!



 This is my wheat grass I am growing. It will be nice and full for Easter and then it will still be a great decoration for spring just change the banner up. I got this idea from a Studio 5 segment featuring blogger Susan Peterson: http://studio5.ksl.com/index.php?nid=71&sid=15127659

This was so easy to make, I just had to round up a few supplies. The eggs are made out of paint samples from Lowe's, the chopsticks are from Rumbi Island Grill, the twine I already had, and the cute white flower cups I got at Hobby Lobby for 40% off. In the segment video Susan used a small hole punch to string the twine or ribbon through. But I didn't have a small one and I didn't like the look of the big one.  So I just went simple and taped the eggs on the back and it worked out great.

The wheat grass was the most expensive part because of the potting soil I had to buy. But I bet a lot of you already have soil and so another thing you have around your house you could use. I just bought mine at Walmart. The seeds are really cheap. I got mine at Sprouts in the bulk section. Most health food stores should have them. They are hard red winter wheat seeds or I got red spring berries which are similar. I'll post more pictures when the grass is actually growing. In total I spent $7 dollars on this, but I did have to buy a whole bag of soil so it could be cheaper if you have soil already.




The last thing for this post is the printable I made for Easter. I wanted something to help me remember the real reason I celebrate Easter. All of the candy and bunnies are fun, but this is probably my favorite thing I have up in my house right now. It helps me remember the true meaning of Easter and sits in my living room so I see it everyday.  I just printed it out and framed it. Then I put eggs around it. This was free for me to make but yet it means the most to me = priceless.


 
I hope you got some good ideas and inspiration for your own Easter decorations! I'll be posting more soon! If you have questions just leave a comment or if you like my ideas as well. Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Love your crafts Rach, I never would have guessed they were homemade. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I need to come visit you and see all the cute things you are doing. You are so talented! Glad you are able to "let it shine" as you create and beautify your home. Thanks for sharing your Blog. I LOVE the background--orange, yellow, purple flowers. You made me smile today. :)

    ReplyDelete